In today’s ever-changing environment,technology and social media, specifically Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn are playing an increasingly pivotal role in society—in fact,1 in 4 people around the world engage in social media, and by 2017 the number of users is expected to surpass 2.5 billion (eMarketer).
With social media, you can build your personal brand, connect with people personally and professionally, network in ways never before possible, and in a business sense, it allows you to get to know your target audience in an increasingly intimate way.
So with that in mind, wouldn’t it be a good idea to increase your presence on these sites? If you answered yes, here are a few tips:
- Don’t stick to just one
- Stay current on your social media sites and use multiple networks such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc. It may seem counterintuitive, but follow the herd; people generally know what is and what’s going to be popular, so although you may feel like a hipster, it’s your best bet to be heard.
- Exposure yourself
- Post information that people can relate to, but don’t stray away from what you’re passionate about. Your audience can tell if you truly care, and ultimately, that’s what they care about.
- Create relationships and interact with them
- As the old saying goes, “it’s not about what you, but who you know” and the same goes for social media. Connect with everyone, reach out, introduce yourself because you may never know what they offer you.
- Be aware of what you post
- Be weary about what you post, but understand there will always be people out there that don’t agree, so don’t close yourself off. While posting controversial topics can be like walking on glass, it’s sometimes the best way to be heard. Donald Trump, anyone?
- Be dedicated
- Try to post and share content often, and be consistent—say, every Monday morning. Nothing turns people off more than an inconsistent person because frankly, if you don’t care, why should your audience?
Hopefully, these tips will help you get started on your quest to become the next viral sensation. But remember, be patient; you’re not going to become that overnight, so don’t give up and keep on doing what you love.